Healthy Food Planning & Best before / Use by dates



My art work is suffering as I try to return my body to a healthier state. I seem to spend more time meal planning and cooking than I used to, just trying to make healthier meals. Today Im not even really cooking I'm using up leftovers, yet still my art suffers as today its all about Best Before (BBF) & Use By (UB) dates

The start of the New year I always check my freezer and cupboards to use up any food going out of date soon. This way the oldest possible date is 1 year, but if its best before I would still use it, making sure it was cooked well. Some how I found some opened semolina BBF dated sept 2015! How on earth did I miss that?? Needless to say it went in the bin as I thought 3 years past its BBF date was pushing it a bit.

So this weeks food planning is using up whats in the freezer and cupboards. It's a bit like Iron Chef with the secret ingredient being what ever is in my freezer. Currently its cooked sliced beef, Chicken, ham and some yummy ham and cheese muffins which we will have for breakfast tomorrow for a reason I will tell you about shortly. Also lots of fruit and chopped apples from my allotment, and ice creams which the grandkids better eat before I do!

Now back to the muffins. It has been said Protein for breakfast will curb your hunger pangs all day. And I am inclined to agree. When having eggs for breakfast I rarely get hungry before 4 pm so I can easily go down to 2 meals a day. These ham and cheese eggy muffins are so tasty and 2 fill you up easily. So I will have a couple for breakfast and see how I get on for the rest of the day. 



Bacon and cheese muffin recipe from (All Recipes UK)

Now the only fat is the cheese and a little in the bacon (I use ham) so the amount you put in is up to you but will affect the recipe. Personally as there is no butter and the cheese is a form of protein and calcium so I will take the hit on the fat. Now stupid me cannot find the recipe I used last time so Im going with this one next time...... will let you know how they turn out after I finish eating the batch in the freezer.

I have done a few token exercises and must finish getting ready for Hospital Scouts tonight. I'm a  volunteer Scout leader at the QA Hospital in the paediatrics ward. Some of my childhood was spent in hospital having bone and skin grafts on my face. Quite a lonely time as my parents were unable to visit much with 4 other siblings, Dad working, and a disabled Mum. Odstock hospital was a bit of a drive away but as Mum couldn't drive and dad working I was left to my own devices most of the time. So I was very appreciative of the hospital volunteers who made such efforts in keeping a grumpy kid occupied. This is just my way of giving something back, but to be honest its great fun and I'm sure I get more out of it than the kids ha ha.

Give the recipe a go and let me know what you think.
Love and Light peeps
dbee x







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bread in my Thermomix and my new Ninja Foodi Smart lid

Good bye and Thank you Mr Pepper

Bamboo, Chocolate cake and Ninja review