A very unlikely pilgrimage and GBBO cake

This years challenge is reading

A friend told me that this year she was going to challenge herself to read a book a month. Thinking that I haven’t read a book for quite a while or actually made much time to just relax, I decided to join her challenge. Normally I would paint to chill out but it’s quite cold in my studio at the moment and by the time I get home from work it’s just too dark, so reading seemed like an excellent idea. 

That same week my Niece told me about ‘Borrow Box’. It’s a free app from your local library so you can borrow ebooks and audio books for free. The fact it’s free is brilliant, but what is even better is I can read books without a light on at night which could wake David or, if I want, I can just listen to an ebook and someone will tell me a story which I just love. It reminds me of my childhood and being read to at bed time, and yes, it still sends me off to the land of nod dreaming of the story as I drift off to sleep with unicorns or beautiful mountains swirling round my head.


My husband and I recently went on a road trip to Somerset. I took my trusty travel art pack and my iPad to read my current book, ‘The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry’. As we drove down to Chard   down the A303 and later past a sign for Clark’s Village, I suddenly realised we were retracing some of Harolds steps. How weird was that, actually reading a book linked to the place we were visiting. 

The book is an interesting tale of a man walking to a post box, and just decided to keep on walking in order to inspire his friend dying of cancer to stay alive. His story gradually emerges step by step, mile by mile, day by day to a bitter sweet twist of an ending. I truly recommend this book to anyone one who feels their life is stagnating.

In total so far this year I have read, or listened to 9 books already. Including ‘Tattooist of Auschwitz’ which was such an honest account. Unlike some other similar war stories I have read where people do amazing brave things, this is a love story and a tale of survival at any cost, with courage I can’t even imagine. I would like to think that I could be so brave in similar circumstances, but deep down inside I sadly doubt myself. And also Terry Pratchett's ‘Amazing Maurice and his educated rodents,’ as always a hilarious and a well written book that is a definite page turner.

I usually have 2 books on the go, one audio book and one ebook. Current ebook is ‘Believe me,’ by Eddie Izzard, his autobiography which is a funny and interesting book with a dash of heart string tugging. So far very enjoyable. And my current audio book is ‘The Madonna of Bolton,’ the story of a young lad called Charlie growing up loving the songs of Madonnna. I had no idea the story is actually about his sexuality and his struggles with family, school and later life. Realising he is gay and his fears, thoughts, aspirations as well as the bullying and acceptance of others. Living his life along side Madonna’s music in order to give him hope, strength and guidance. So far it’s been quite sad with a dash of funny, but very enlightening. It’s blatantly honest and describes some situations and thoughts this young man has gone through or felt, some I would never have imagined. I’m half way through both books and just want to hug both Eddie and Charlie for what they have been through.

My favourite book so far is Amazing Maurice, but Eddies book may beat that by the time I have finished it. I must thank my friend Cheryl for this latest journey and my niece for making it so simple to achieve. So I baked a Lemon cake for them both, and then promptly ate it. Lol


Well the cake didn’t quite go to plan and it ended up like a scene from The Great British Bake Off. After staring at the contents of the oven every 5 minutes as I have a habit of over baking cakes, I eventually removed the cake and tried to tip it out from the tin. It refused to budge and stuck like chewing gum to an old mans beard. Luckily I had recently made lemon curd which acted like glue to stick it all back together and once turned over you wouldn’t have known, honest. The curd also moistened (why do I find this word disturbing?) the cake at the same time as yet again it was over baked.  Win win all round! But as it was not up to my usual standard, I ate it and fed it to David. Sorry Cheryl and AJ, I will bake you another some time.

If anyone wants the recipe for dry smashed lemon caked just contact me in the comment section below. 😂

Do you have any book recommendations?
Or better still perhaps a moist (yup defiantly don’t like that word) lemon cake.

Well I’m off to read a little more, I think Charlie is going to India, and as it’s an audio book I can paint at the same time while finishing off that last slice of cake. Mmmmm.

Until next time.
Love and Light peeps
Dbee xx






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bread in my Thermomix and my new Ninja Foodi Smart lid

Good bye and Thank you Mr Pepper

Bamboo, Chocolate cake and Ninja review