Little boats and Coconut curry - Ninja style!

 

Today's Smartlid Ninja dinner is a Vegetable coconut curry. (recipe below) I forgot to get it started early to use the slow cook function but as I have made this in a pressure cooker many, many times before, speedy pressure cooking it will have to be. 

However pretty worried my calculations are incorrect as I couldn't find a Ninja recipe anywhere, well until I started writing today's blog whilst it cooks in the kitchen and there it was, as soon as I googled it, a vegetable stew but in another type of pressure cooker. Their time states 30 mins, but I have set mine to 15mins at low pressure with a delayed-release. To be honest I have no idea why I even chose low pressure or delayed-release?? It's just dragging out the pain wondering if the dam curry is going to be cooked in time.

Only time will tell and possibly bite me on the bottom for not getting it sorted sooner as, thanks to Covid, Hubby comes home to dinner every day. Not because his canteen is closed, but because when he worked from home he liked having his main meal at noon. So, every day I make sure I am at home waiting like a dutiful wife to serve him a delicious meal and then wave him off back to work. 

I have been feeling a little drab lately, or being more honest, old, ugly, and fat, so today I decided to rid my cupboards and wardrobe of any clothes that don't make me feel lovely. Hence by the time I finished trashing my room it was already 11am and I hadn't even peeled a potato! Eeeek!



Now while my new Ninja is doing it's stuff in the kitchen and building up steam, i'm hiding in the dining room writing this blog and copying up the recipe so I can read my notes in the future and feel a little more confident each time I do some Ninja cooking.

And that's when it hit me. I have been missing my Sister so very much lately, Lesley sadly died at the young age of 37. She was 10 years older than me and was like a second Mum. I think of her often but it seemed to be more than usual and I couldn't think why that was. 

So while the steam vented from the Ninja and tears vented from my eyes, I remembered how I used to tease my Sister for rushing home to make her Hubands lunch at noon. If ever we went out together or if she visited me, she would dutifully rush back every day before 12, even if it was just to make him a sandwich. I never understood why he couldn't just make it himself. But I get it now, David would be fine if I asked him to sort out his own dinner once in a while, (as long it was a microwave meal or from Burger king. lol) It's a little stressful ensuring it's all ready for him at the right time, and sometimes a bit of a bind, but I like doing that for him, caring for him as he does for me and that's what marriage is all about. My Sister knew it then as I do now, it gives me comfort and makes me feel a little closer to her in some strange way.

Anyway back to the curry. 

As my Husband David opened the door, the Ninja let me know all was ready and the Coconut curry was done. It was very spicy but the vegetables were perfecty cooked, the sauce was thick and creamy and as he sat down to eat I had a warm and fuzzy feeling in my heart and after tasting, a bonfire in my mouth.


The Coconut curry - serves 4

1 - 2 tbl of a good curry paste (Mine was a gift from a friend and needed sauteing first for 3 mins)

Root veg peeled and cubed (I used carrot, pasnip, butternut squash, potato and sw potato)

2 onions sliced

1 x 400g can of chickpeas (For protein)

300ml water

1 can of coconut milk

10 curry leaves (Optional) 

Method

Slide Smart lid Ninja to PRESSURE and set to low pressure, delayed release, for 15 mins.

When cooked add 2 handfulls of frozen peas and stir well as sometimes the coconut splits but stirring soon sorts it out.

Enjoy.

So where do the little boats come from in the title? 

My afternoon was spent chilling out and painting little boats on spare rice paper as a trial for a painting I am creating. It is inspired by ‘The Great Wave’ and when it's finished I will post it on here.

I'm off to paint a few more boats.

Until next time I will give you a Great Wave goodbye. 

Love and Light peeps

dbee x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bread in my Thermomix and my new Ninja Foodi Smart lid

Good bye and Thank you Mr Pepper

Bamboo, Chocolate cake and Ninja review