The birds are gagging but oven won't win... will it?!


My Big little bro and gorgeous Sister in Law are visiting from New Zealand and there is a gathering at her Dads house. I'm so excited I could burst. We haven't seen them in 8 years and never met their son Jasper, who, I must add with pride, I helped name. As they are so into organic healthy living on this lovely planet, and do so as Environmentally friendly as they can for themselves and this beautiful place we call Earth, I felt his name should reflect this and suggested his second name be Forest which they chose. 

The request for the gathering is for me to bring dessert or a cake so it was to be Caribbean carrot cake  easily made in my Thermomix. ..... or so I thought. now I always check the mix by tasting the batter but the mix tasted a little weird. I should have just stopped there and looked at what I had done but I stupidly did not.  One hour later the cake was removed from the oven and promptly sunk! To be honest I was pretty angry as there was a fresh pineapple, nuts, coconut and other goodies wasted. I trimmed the edge to check and and yup it was pretty disgusting!


I have no idea what I had done wrong and not one to give in tried again with another Carrot cake recipe I have cooked in the past....... but OMG another fail.......now I was totally disheartened. 


This time it raised beautifully and when I checked with the skewer was cooked, however hubby came in and slammed the door and down it went! Now I'm not entirely sure the slamming of the back door which is next to the oven caused this second fail, but it was fine when I got it out and left it out to cool. So back in the oven it went in the hope it will be ok.....which I know deep down it won't. 

Meanwhile on the bird table the birds are gagging at my first cake fail. The Robin hasn't been back since and the black bird seemed to gag, it went to take off but just fell to the grass. Ran around flapping for a few seconds which was a little worrying but luckily managed to take flight to a nearby tree where, if it could, would have put its wing down its throat to remove the offending 'cake' (and I use the word 'cake' so very loosely and realise Im offending all cakes out there in the world today)!!


Hubby just looked at cake number 2 and suggested a visit to Tesco's on the way to the gathering which is a little deflating like my cake, but I guess it's better than serving mine. So we will have to leave a little earlier and grab a gateaux or two which are full of preservatives etc. Of course everyone will love them whilst thinking I'm too lazy to bake anything and all my own environmental rants on  healthy eating and cooking from scratch are all just hot air!

Some days the oven just hates you!

What cake fails have you had, and how did you cover them up?

Until next time, 

X Love and Light Peeps X

dbee x




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bread in my Thermomix and my new Ninja Foodi Smart lid

Good bye and Thank you Mr Pepper

Bamboo, Chocolate cake and Ninja review