Now I can see, It wasn't all about me.... Call the Midwife and the Cleft palate

Nanna and Me

Now I can really see my birth defect was NOT all about me. I was not the only one suffering!

This is the earliest photo of me I can find. It is of me and my Nanna who, I was told, had a special spot in her heart for me, as I was 'special'. This photo must have been taken just a few months after my skin graft when my lip was stitched up. (The bone would be grafted to close the hole in the roof of my mouth when I was older)

I was a baby born in the 1960's with a Cleft Palate and recently watched 'Call the Midwife.' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0c1x6qn/call-the-midwife-series-8-episode-3)

The program had a huge effect on me from start to finish. The sense of admiration and sadness for my parents, especially my Mother flowed over me like a Tsunami. I have only really considered how I coped and was affected by my cleft. I was always appreciative to my parents for their love and support with all my issues eating, the operations, dental work, speech therapy, illness etc. But not how they could have felt, how frightening, exhausting and saddened and all the other feelings parents go through when their baby has a defect. And as I couldn't suck, I was fed with a tea spoon every hour. With my Dad in the Navy, Mum disabled  and 3 other siblings how did she ever get any sleep!! The many operations and visits to various dental and speech departments etc. that had to be organised,  must have taken it's toll on my whole family in one way or another. We must also remember there was no internet for them to google reassurance from, and how my Dad got me one of only 5 prototype 'Train Track' Dental Braces back in 1975 I will sadly never know.

Dbee Lou Who?

I am still undergoing major surgery and dental work for my cleft palate but I'm pleased to say I still have the love and support of my family and especially my Husband. However after my 3rd bone graft 2 years ago he kept calling me Dbee Lou Woo. 

"Don't look in the mirror!" He said. So of course I did, and yes with my mouth all swollen I looked like someone from Whooville. The more I looked in the mirror, the more I laughed, which hurt, and weirdly made me laugh even more.

This episode was certainly an eyeopener for me, well done to the BBC who, yet again excel bringing such raw history and real life drama to their programs. 

Me now

Well i'm off to watch the grinch, and if you haven't seen Call the Midwife, then give it a go it's certainly worth watching, its not all screaming mothers in child birth and babies! ha ha.

Have you watched anything that is, in a way about you or how your were raised, and has actually changed your point of view?

X Love and Light Peeps X

Dbee x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bread in my Thermomix and my new Ninja Foodi Smart lid

Good bye and Thank you Mr Pepper

Bamboo, Chocolate cake and Ninja review