Ahead of the game with shopping!

Tom's Commissioning at Sandhurst

Yes I still hate shopping, but recently I was ahead of the game! Woo! Hoo!

Our Son Tom recently got married and after my Husbands comment on what I planned to wear on his special day I went into a total head spin. 


Anyway back to this story.... 

In summary I ended up buying 3 dresses for the wedding. After googling and chatting with friends the etiquette and appropriate dress for Sandhurst Commissioning ceremony, Sovereigns parade and formal celebratory lunch, it is similar to wedding attire. And guess what.... One of the dresses (a floaty purple and navy dress with a mandarin collar) I had purchased for his wedding fitted the bill perfectly! It was below the knee, shoulders covered, sleeves to the elbow and definitely no splits.

Oh Frabjous day Caloo Calay she chortled in her joy! 
Yes, I felt like I had slain my Shopping Jabberwocky! 

The extras I needed were found eerily easily. My flat shoes I found in M&S (flat as I knew the amount of walking we were expected to do) They are really comfy and perfect for under jeans. My husband however insisted on wearing his best shiny shoes which sadly crippled him by the end of the day. (Well that was a switch it was me on the wedding day.) My bag and coat I found in a charity shop and just I needed to reduce the length of the sleeves, but thanks to watching The Great British Sewing Bee (TGBSB), I felt confident I could do that task easily. 

Strangely enough I actually don't mind going in charity shops as long as i'm not looking for anything specific. Weird eh?

My hair is now long enough for me to put up easily with just one hair band and a clip. I did try something a little more fancy but I knew I wouldn't have time to mess around too much. I did find Milabu's tutorial helpful and I love the messy chic look, but will try this another day.

My face was still a little swollen and bruised from surgery but other than wear a bag on my head there wasn't a lot I could do. However the bag may have been a good idea though as it was pretty cold and my poor sore swollen nose froze and I suffered for days after!

Tom looked amazing in his outfit and with all his hard work, a level head and his supportive wife he will certainly go far in the Army. We are so very proud and it was a privilege to be part of his special day, we were also treated to a lovely 3 course meal and sat with the Signals General. They must think a lot of Tom to sit him next to the General, or at least know he won't say or do something stupid.  I was once told it may also be to get his face recognised later for future promotions. Fingers crossed for him there then. It was such a lovely day and no shopping traumas to haunt me. Woo! Hoo! Being a head of the game was wonderful, and with my husband wearing the same navy suit and purple tie he wore to Toms wedding, he and I were totally coordinated in Purple and Navy blue. My Husband also wore his Falklands medal from when he was a Radar Artificer in the Navy, which made me even more proud. The only sad thing was it was so cold I never took my coat off so I could have worn almost anything underneath my Navy Military style woollen coat. Ha Ha Ha, so I have put a picture of it below. Purchased from DHgate.com and I love how it looks as if the flowers were just painted on loosely. Perfectly arty ware for me.

My lovely dress nobody saw!

My Mum and my Sister would have been so proud of me stating I wanted to wear a pretty dress! I was such a tom boy as a kid and always in jeans, boots, leather jacket and short hair. More self protection than style. I found out if people thought you were hard and moody they left you alone, and after being treated rather badly by a few people in my life it was my way of staying safe. I still revert to wearing this sort of attire when I feel threatened or uncomfortable when going out and need to feel i'm in control or have an invisible barrier around me. But not this day, I felt proud, excited and happy to be included on Tom's special day.

How do you prepare for an event or protect yourself for possible uncomfortable situations?

I must just mention one little mishap though. On our way to pick up brother Ollie from the station. That's Tom's brother, not a monk! ha ha! I was opening my bottle of water when I dropped the lid which of course rolled in to the most awkward of places. Unable to put my bottle down I placed it between my knees as I scrummaged for the lid under my seat. Where as my Husband braked suddenly and I jumped in my seat squeezing the bottle with my knees and shooting water everywhere. Luckily it didn't fill my shoes or I would have squelched my way around Sandhurst.

Anyway time for me to get into my garden and enjoy todays sun.
What ever you are doing today ..... enjoy!

X Love and Light Peeps X

dbee x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bread in my Thermomix and my new Ninja Foodi Smart lid

Good bye and Thank you Mr Pepper

Bamboo, Chocolate cake and Ninja review