Presents, birds and tasty bread with a lovely book to share.




My husband is well known for buying me presents that he wants. Now I must point out I have no problem with this in any way. As similarly if I do not know what to buy someone, I too buy presents I like and hope those I buy for like them too. However some of my husbands presents for me are quite hilariously brought for him, and this year I think it backfired. 

This Christmas my husband brought me some binoculars. I already have some great binoculars, so I was a little surprised to be given some new ones. And my husband also has some great binoculars I brought him some time ago, but he has lost them. “The new ones are lighter” he said “and great for you to take on walks.”

So I took them out Christmas Day when we went on a long walk and I loved them. They really are a lot lighter, easier to use and the magnification is superb. We both enjoyed looking at all the birds on the shoreline. Without binoculars we would have just seen ducks and waders, but through these new binoculars we could really see the many diverse beautiful birds of all shapes, sizes and colours. And with the added benefit of a lifetime No Fault warranty we cannot go wrong.

Within a week I was hooked on bird watching and to log all the different birds I have seen I have downloaded a Bird ID APP and purchased a new bird book. And my husband didn’t get a replacement for his missing binoculars. Ooops! 

The MERLIN APP is free and really simple to use. The book BRITAINS BIRDS that I was advised to get is not a pocket one as I had hoped, but very helpful. 


   

We try to walk at least 10,000 steps a day and now, when ever practical, I take my new binoculars with me, check my book on my return home and log any new birds in the app. So far we have spotted 28 different birds in 16 days including Herons, Little egrets, Lapwings, Oyster catchers and in our garden my favourite bird, the Black Bird with it’s friends including Starlings, Pigeons and of course Robins to name a few. I guess I am now classed as a Birder. 

So, what is the difference between a birder and a twitcher? The birder is a passive birdwatcher who takes their time when birdwatching and enjoys whatever bird comes their way, while the twitcher is more active in their birdwatching approach, wasting no time, and seeks a specific kind of bird.



Also I am happy to say that with my Thermomix and Pressure King Pro (PKP) I can prepare and cook easily and quickly in order to spend more time on my new hobby. I can now cook bread in 2 hours and not actually have to be in the house while it bakes! 





Lazy Git Bread

If you have a Thermomix then put the ingredients in the jug in this order.
 However you can make this by hand or in a normal mixer, but you may have to knead it longer.

320g water
2.5 tsp yeast
2 tbsp sugar (or 35g honey)

37ºc for 2 mins at speed 2

Add 25g oil and mix for 15 seconds at speed 2 

Add 500g strong flour
1 tsp salt

Mix 5 seconds on speed 7
Knead 4:30 minutes and put in tin (or put in PKP and follow directions)

IF PROVING IMMEDIATELY
Then leave to prove 1-3 hours and when doubled in size cook at 200ºc for 30-35 mins until hollow sound is heard when bread tapped underneath.

IF PROVING IN FRIDGE (2 different ways)
Cover with an oiled very loose fitting plastic wrap and put in fridge for the day or overnight.
When ready, remove plastic film and put in a cold oven and set to 185ºc for 30-40 mins
Cook until hollow sound is heard when bread tapped underneath.

OR
Remove from fridge and bring up to temperature for 1 hour. 
Remove plastic film and put in a cold oven and set to 175ºc for 30-40 mins
Cook until hollow sound is heard when bread tapped underneath.

NOTE - Everyones oven is different but I have found if you listen for the hollow sound you cannot go wrong. If its not quite a that hollow sound, keep the bread out the tin and put back in the oven upside-down for another 5 mins or so.

CHANGES - I usually add 2 tbsp of seeds, 1 tbsp chopped nuts and sometimes also 1 tbsp fruit and a tsp of cinnamon when adding the flour. 

Makes fab sandwiches, great toast and keeps well in a sealed container or slice and freeze.


Delicious! And simply divine with added seeds, nuts, cinnamon and sultanas. 

Well time for me to do some more illustrations for my 2nd children’s book. 

Have you seen my first book? I don’t think I have even blogged about it which is strange as it’s quite an achievement for me to write, illustrate, narrate and self publish it too.

~ DETAILS ~

It is a unique Children’s ebook / audio book written, illustrated and narrated by local artist. It can be read to children from birth, as the child gets older they can learn to read alternate simplified pages. It also has audio so they can read also enjoy the book on their own. And can be gifted easily on line which is perfect as we are all trying to stay safe.


Do click on the link and check out the sample so you see how different the set up for this book is. Just £2.99 on Apple Books. 

http://books.apple.com/us/book/id1543457006

~ HOW THIS UNIQUE BOOK WORKS ~ These books are suitable for all ages and can be enjoyed by children and adults at the same time. Each ‘Odd’ numbered page is designed to be read by adults to children or older readers, whilst younger readers can count worms and look for bugs or flowers. Younger readers can learn to read the ‘Even’ numbered pages and later read all the pages themselves. Audio is also available on every page for extra fun and support. Thus the fun and learning experience can start from any age and all can enjoy this book together.

~ PREFACE ~ Lilly is a quirky, happy little girl whose thoughts creep down her arms like raindrops and flow into her fingers which tingle for something interesting to do. She loves exploring, finding amazing treasures and investigating how wonderful things work. Follow her fun adventures as she finds out about the world around her.

In book 2 Lilly finds a rock which could have come from another planet. The illustration below is her pretending to be an alien. I am currently having trouble with the title as I want it to be about Lilly finding a shooting star, however that gives the game away of what the rock is. If you have any suggestions do comment below. 


So time for me to get on.

Stay safe everyone, find yourself something to help you stay positive and remember this COVID-19 chaos will pass. 

X Love and Light Peeps X 

Dbee x 

PS - Sadly I must say the amount of litter and dog faeces being left all over the streets, footpaths and places of beauty since lockdown is very upsetting. In just one walk we spotted 2 masks, 1 plastic glove, numerous plastic bottles and take out coffee cups, general litter and so much dog poo it was like a mine field out there. Please people TAKE IT HOME OR BIN IT! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bread in my Thermomix and my new Ninja Foodi Smart lid

Good bye and Thank you Mr Pepper

Bamboo, Chocolate cake and Ninja review